The main Budget 2012 lock-up for media and economic and financial analysts will be held on Thursday 24 May from 10.30am at the Banquet Hall in Parliament Buildings.
Documents will be available from 10.30am and Treasury officials will also be available from that time to answer technical questions arising from any of the Budget documents.
As in previous years, priority will be given to:
- National and international media organisations; and
- Economic and financial analysts attached to either financial institutions or national organisations that provide relevant specialist advisory services.
The Minister of Finance will attend the Budget lock-up.
Treasury officials will permit access to the Banquet Hall from 10am for those who need to set up equipment.
The Auckland lock-up for media only will be held from 12pm-2pm at TVNZ, Victoria Street West, Auckland.
Provision will be made for up to 20 media representatives to attend a lock-up at TVNZ’s Auckland studios in Victoria Street West. Please note that there will be no Treasury officials present who are authorised to answer technical questions and no Ministerial representatives, although two Treasury staff will attend to help administer security around the event.
Read the related media advisory issued by the Treasury: Attendance at Budget 2012 Wellington Lock-Up (11 May 2012).
Terms and Conditions of Attendance/Embargo Provisions at the Budget Lock-ups
Compliance with the embargo provisions will be monitored. By submitting a registration, attendees are agreeing to the following conditions for attending both lock-ups:
- Compliance with the embargo provisions is taken seriously. Any individual or organisation that breaches the embargo provisions may be refused permission to attend future lock-ups hosted by the Treasury.
- No information may be released from the lock-up until after the embargo is lifted.
- Mobile phones must be surrendered to the Treasury before entering the lock-up and may be picked up at the conclusion of the lock-up.
- Data cards, wireless networking and other communication devices or services built into laptop/mobile computers must be disconnected or switched off during the lock-up.
- Other than visits to the bathroom, no one will be permitted to leave the lock-up once documents have been distributed.
- Media and analysts will be permitted to start preparations at 1.55pm for transmitting after 2pm.
- Accredited representatives of the media will be permitted to leave the lock-ups at 1.55pm to attend the 2pm commencement of the Hon Bill English’s Budget Speech in the House of Representatives.
- The Treasury will announce the end of the lock-up, which is when transmissions may commence and when remaining journalists and analysts may leave.
- In the unlikely event that the building has to be evacuated before 2pm, the embargo will be lifted and attendees should leave the building immediately.