New Zealand PPP projects to date include projects in the Education, Corrections and Transport sectors. New Zealand’s eighth PPP is currently in procurement.
Current PPP Projects:
- Hobsonville Schools PPP (primary and secondary schools at Hobsonville Point) – completed in 2013 and now in operating phase (education services provided by the Ministry of Education).
- Auckland South Correctional Facility (Wiri Prison – a 960 bed men’s prison) completed in 2015 and now operating (custodial services provided by the PPP contractor).
- Transmission Gully expressway (27km expressway, Wellington) due to be completed in 2020.
- Schools 2 PPP (a bundle of four schools in Canterbury, Auckland and Queenstown) due to be completed in 2016 (for opening term 1, 2017) and 2017 (Queenstown - for opening term 1, 2018).
- Auckland Prison (new maximum security facility and refurbishment of existing facility at Paremoremo Prison) due to be completed in 2017 (opening June 2018).
- Pūhoi to Warkworth state highway (18 km expressway, Auckland) – contractual close achieved Nov 2016, due to be completed in 2022.
- Schools PPP3, an initial bundle of three primary schools in Auckland and Hamilton due to open in 2018 and two co-located secondary schools in Christchurch due to open in 2019. Additional schools are also intended to be added to the project.
Projects currently under procurement or consideration include:
- Waikeria Prison (a new 1,500 bed facility) commenced procurement in January 2017 and is due to reach contractual close mid-2018.
- The New Zealand Defence Force Accommodation Messing and Dining Modernisation Programme Business Case is being developed in 2017 and will consider PPP procurement. Subsequent project specific Detailed Business Cases will confirm the procurement method.
- The Ministry of Health is considering PPP in an Indicative Business Case for Dunedin Hospital.