In December 2017, an Independent Expert Advisory Panel was appointed by the Minister of Finance to assist with Phase 1 of the Review.
In September 2018, the Minister of Finance announced new appointments to the Independent Advisory Panel to continue through Phase 2 of the Review.
Phase 2 is being led by a joint Reserve Bank and Treasury Review team. The Panel’s role during Phase 2 is to support the policy development process and to provide quality assurance. The Panel may also provide independent advice to the Minister of Finance on the work being carried out by the Review team, as appropriate. The Panel will be engaged on all major issues covered by Phase 2 of the Review, and its feedback and advice will inform key Review outputs.
The current members of the Panel are:
- Suzanne Snively ONZM (Chair): a former Director of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Suzanne is an independent economic strategist, professional director and risk management advisor. She is the Chair of Transparency International New Zealand and a director on boards including the Health Research Council, the Army Leadership Board and Te Pou Matakana.
- Dr Malcolm Edey: Malcolm is a consulting economist and academic, lecturing in economic policy, banking and finance at the University of Sydney. Previous roles include Assistant Governor (Financial System) and Assistant Governor (Economic) of the Reserve Bank of Australia, and Chair of the OECD Committee on Financial Markets.
- Dr Girol Karacaoglu: Girol is the Head of the School of Government at Victoria University of Wellington with a focus on research in public policy. He was previously Chief Economist and Deputy Secretary, Macroeconomics, International and Economic Research at the Treasury, and was Chief Executive of The Co-operative Bank for nine years.
- Barbara Chapman: Barbara is an experienced banker with a 36-year career in the financial sector, culminating as the Managing Director and Chief Executive of ASB. She is now focused on governance roles as a director of Genesis Energy, NZME and Fletcher Building.
- Belinda Moffat: Belinda is a lawyer by training with a career that spans law, banking and regulation. She is currently the Chief Executive of the Broadcasting Standards Authority and was previously the Director of Enforcement and Investigations at the Financial Markets Authority immediately following its establishment.