Have your say on the issues: Public consultation on Phase 2 of the Reserve Bank Act Review
The first round of consultation for Phase 2 of the Reserve Bank Act Review: Safeguarding the future of our financial system is now open (closing 25 January 2019).
This round of consultation is focused on five key issues:
- Objectives: What high-level financial policy objectives should the Reserve Bank have?
- Regulatory Perimeter: Which financial firms should the Reserve Bank regulate and how should the regulatory perimeter be set?
- Depositor Protection: Should there be depositor protection in New Zealand?
- Separation: Should the regulation of financial firms remain with the Reserve Bank?
- Governance: How should the Reserve Bank be governed, including who should make the Reserve Bank’s decisions?
There are several consultation documents, available below, that each explore the key issues under consideration in this round of consultation at different depths.
Not all of these consultation materials will be relevant to all respondents. Please feel free to choose the materials you think are best suited to your level of interest in the issues under consideration.
- Background Paper on the regulatory perimeter
- Background Paper on separation
- Background Paper on governance
How to respond
We welcome your views on the important issues raised in this consultation. Feel free to address only those issues and questions where you think you are best placed to respond. Submissions to this consultation round close on 25 January 2019.
Online feedback forms, available above, can assist you with providing written comments.
All responses should be emailed to:
Alternatively, responses can be posted to:
Phase 2 of the Reserve Bank Act Review
PO Box 3724
If you have any questions about the consultation process, they can be emailed to email@example.com.
What comes next
The Review team will consider all submissions to the consultation received on or before the closing date of 25 January 2019. Once the consultation has closed, the Review team will publish a report summarising the key messages and themes emerging from the submissions received. We may also publish individual submissions, as appropriate.
Two further rounds of consultation exploring other key Review topics are planned for 2019, the next covering the remaining topics in the Review’s terms of reference and presenting preliminary options developed in light of the first consultation.
Written submissions and summaries of stakeholder engagement on previous consultation rounds, including a series of industry roundtables and stakeholder consultations to inform the scope of Phase 2, are available at Reserve Bank Act Review Phase 2 Proactive Release.