An overview of the New Zealand Government's Budget process and links to the most recent Budget documents as well as links to past Budgets.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury helps in the preparation of the government's annual Budget by:
- advising the Minister of Finance on Budget policy
- preparing the macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts
- compiling and processing budget initiative proposals from Vote Ministers, and
- preparing budget documents such as the Estimates, the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and the Fiscal Strategy Report.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Grant Robertson, delivered the Budget 2019 on Thursday, 30 May 2019. The Budget Policy Statement 2019 was published on Thursday, 13 December 2018.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Grant Robertson, delivered Budget 2018 on Thursday 17 May 2018. The Budget Policy Statement 2018 was delivered on Thursday, 14 December 2017.
Current and past Government Budgets can be found below:
Other key publications
- The Treasury's forecasts for government finances and the New Zealand economy are published at least twice a year in Budget documents called Economic and Fiscal Updates (EFUs). The most recent forecasts are: PREFU 2017, HYEFU 2017, and BEFU 2018.
- Overview of the New Zealand government's Budget process and its key phases and the documents that make up the Budget.