An overview of the New Zealand Government's Budget process and links to the most recent Budget documents as well as an archive of older Budgets.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Grant Robertson, delivered the Budget Policy Statement 2018 on Thursday, 14 December 2017. The Minister has announced that Budget 2018 will be delivered on Thursday, 17 May 2018. Budget material will be released at 2pm on Budget Day.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Steven Joyce delivered Budget 2017 on 25 May 2017. The Budget Policy Statement 2017 was published on Thursday, 8 December 2016.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury helps in the preparation of the government's annual Budget by:
- advising the Minister of Finance on Budget policy
- preparing the macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts
- compiling and processing budget initiative proposals from Vote Ministers, and
- preparing budget documents such as the Estimates, the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and the Fiscal Strategy Report.
Other key publications
- The Treasury's forecasts for government finances and the New Zealand economy are published at least twice a year in Budget documents called Economic and Fiscal Updates (EFUs). Refer to the following for PREFU 2017, BEFU 2017, and HYEFU 2016.
- Overview of the New Zealand government's Budget process and its key phases and the documents that make up the Budget.