The Treasury administers the Overseas Investment Act 2005 and provides the Government with advice on overseas investment into New Zealand.
The information releases listed here relate to advice the Treasury has provided on the Overseas Investment Act and foreign investment policy more broadly.
- Phase 2 Overseas Investment Act Reform (October 2018, July 2019, May 2020, July 2020) - Treasury advice and Cabinet material relating to the 2018 to 2020 Phase 2 review of the Overseas Investment Act 2005 that was seeking to better ensure that investments by overseas persons are consistent with New Zealand's national interest.
- Overseas Investment Act Submissions (19 December 2019) – Material includes a report summarising submissions received on Phase 2 Overseas Investment Act reform, individual submissions and related Cabinet material seeking agreement to the Phase 2 reform of the Overseas Investment Act 2005.
- Overseas Investment in Forestry Information Release (19 September 2019) - Final tranche of papers relating to the pre-introduction development of the forestry Supplementary Order Paper. The material tracks the major policy development, and Cabinet's consideration of the policy and subsequent Supplementary Order Paper.
- Overseas Investment Act Review – Forestry Supplementary Order Paper Development (4 February 2019) - Major papers relating to the pre-introduction development of the forestry Supplementary Order Paper. The material tracks the major policy development, and Cabinet's consideration of the policy and subsequent Supplementary Order Paper.
- Overseas Investment Act 2005 - Exposure Draft Regulations (19 July 2018) – Details of changes to the Overseas Investment Regulations 2005 proposed by the Government in 2018 as part of its commitment to ratify the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
- Forestry registration rights in the Overseas Investment screening regime (29 March 2018) – Material released to coincide with the introduction of a Supplementary Order Paper to amend the Overseas Investment Amendment Bill. The amendment brings overseas investment in sensitive land that involves forestry rights or certain other profits à prendre within the scope of the Overseas Investment Act (OIA).
- Residential Land Changes - Overseas Investment Amendment Bill (5 February 2018) - Treasury advice and Cabinet material relating to Government introduction on 14 December 2017 of the Phase 1 reforms of the Overseas Investment Act 2005. The Bill introduced implements the Government's policy to bring residential land within the category of "sensitive land" for the purposes of the Act.
- Overseas Investment Office Fee Increases and Targeted Exemptions (3 June 2016) - Material relating to increases to the Overseas Investment Office's application fees and targeted exemptions to the investment screening regime announced by the Minister of Finance and Minister for Land Information on 5 May 2016.
- Overseas Investment Amendment Regulations (No 2) 2016: Targeted Exemptions to the Overseas Investment Act 2005 (May 2016) – Summary of submissions from consultation on the draft Regulations in 2016 and a Gazette Notice to implement targeted exemptions to the Overseas Investment Act 2005.
- International Investment Growth Report (14 October 2015) - Government report prepared as an initiative under the Business Growth Agenda to highlight the state of foreign investment into and out of New Zealand.
- Review of Overseas Investment 2009/10 (9 December 2010) - Information page on the review of the Overseas Investment Act announced on 17 March 2009. This includes information on the findings announced by the Minister of Finance on 27 September 2010 and a release of documents (Treasury reports, Cabinet papers and public submissions) relating to the review.
- Strategic Assets - Changes to Overseas Investment Act Regulations (23 April 2008) - Papers relating to the introduction of a new regulation under the Overseas Investment Act 2005 relating to strategically important infrastructure on sensitive land.
- Review of Overseas Investment 2003-2005 - Papers relating to the review of the screening of inward bound foreign investment carried out in 2003 and 2004 and the resulting legislation - the Overseas Investment Act 2005.